EN

Translate:

OUR BROOKLANDS MOTOR SPORT AND AVIATION PAGE

Here you will find pictures of the race track, Pits, cars and planes. Most of the planes here including Concorde were assembled on site or had parts made and shipped out. The information on here is from the Brooklands site.

It is certainly worth a visit here a great day out. There is a 4D Cinema with a choice of films sensibly priced at £4 and the Concorde experience was about £5 lasting 30 minutes  Also there is a f1  simulator which was free.

bROOKLANDS WEB SITE

BROOKLANDS OLD BANKED RACE TRACK

FROM BRIDGE

image86

ON RACE TRACK

image87

TAKEN BY THE OLD TICKET OFFICE

image88

HOME OF THE Napier Railton

HOME OF THE G-BBDG Concorde

image89

CONCORDE G-BBDG THE LEDGEND

 

G-BBDG or 'Delta Golf' was the first Concorde to carry 100 passengers at Mach 2. She was used in the early development of Concorde for testing and certification. Delta Golf had a flying life of seven years, from the 13th February 1974 to the 24th December 1981.

The Brooklands Concorde was known as a 'production' aircraft, as she was developed from the prototype, and used to complete the majority of certification work specified for airline service. She was never used commercially, but Delta Golf was flown around the World to attract sales from international airlines.

After her final landing on Christmas Eve of 1981, Delta Golf was stored, initially serviceable, in a hangar at Filton. In 1984, British Airways acquired the aircraft, and used her as a source for spare parts for their fleet. Delta Golf was offered to Brooklands in 2003, and, after delivery of major sections of the aircraft in June 2004, a two-year restoration project commenced to recover G-BBDG to her former glory. On the 26th July 2006, Delta Golf was opened to the public at Brooklands Museum by HRH Prince Michael of Kent.

 Serial Number 202


Registration G-BBDG


No. off the production line 3rd UK aircraft, 6th overall


No. of Flights 663 


No. of Supersonic Flights 374


Maiden Flight 13th February 1974


Final Flight 24th December 1981 

image90

Napier Railton Double 12

 

Commissioned by the Brooklands driver John Cobb, and designed by Reid Railton, the car was built by Thomson and Taylor at their engineering works within the Brooklands Track. The car was completed in 1933 and first appeared in a race at Brooklands in August of that year.

John Cobb and his co-drivers achieved many Brooklands and World speed records with the car. Probably the most notable of these are the 24 hour record of 150.6mph set on the Bonneville Salt Flats in 1936 and the Brooklands Outer Circuit Lap Record of 143.44mph set by John Cobb in 1935, which was never beaten.

The Napier-Railton’s racing days at Brooklands came to an end in 1937. In 1949 the car was hired from John Cobb by the Romulus Film Company and was used in ‘Pandora and the Flying Dutchman’, a film about a racing car driver.

 

Engine Configuration Napier Lion W12 Location Front, longitudinally mounted Construction aluminium block, cast-iron head Displacement 23,970 cc / 1462.7 cu in Bore / Stroke 139.7 mm (5.5 in) / 130.2 mm (5.1 in) Valve train2 valves / cylinder, OHV Fuel feed 3 Carburetors Aspiration Naturally Aspirated Power 600 bhp / 448 kW @ 2,200 rpm BHP/Liter 25 bhp / liter